Skip to content

Help Zone

Student Question

Secondary I • 2yr.

How do you calibrate a flail scale? Anyway, I don't understand why this is important.

Science

{t c="richEditor.description.title"} {t c="richEditor.description.paragraphMenu"} {t c="richEditor.description.inlineMenu"} {t c="richEditor.description.embed"}

Explanations (1)

• Explanation from Alloprof

Explanation from Alloprof

This Explanation was submitted by a member of the Alloprof team.

Options
    Team Alloprof • 2yr.

Hello Adorable Moose!

Thanks for your question!

Calibrating a flail balance refers to the action of restoring a balance’s equilibrium when its pan holds no objects. Calibration avoids falsifying the mass measurement.

Before calibrating a flail scale, make sure that the scale plate number matches the scale number. Also, the pan should be clean and the scale should be placed on a flat, non-tilted surface. Then, make sure that all the sliders of the scale are not stuck in a notch.

Once these steps have been completed, most of the balance calibration is done using the adjustment button (identified by the number 4 in the diagram below):

s1501i2.jpg

Once the preliminary steps have been carried out, you only need to slowly turn the adjustment knob (releasing the balance from time to time) so that the needle (identified by 5 in the diagram above) is directly opposite the zero of the balance.

This process can be repetitive: you sometimes have to repeat it several times and wait for the scale to stop oscillating each time, so that the needle points to the mark. However, this step is crucial for the scale’s measurement to be precise.

Do not hesitate if you have other questions!

Éveline 😊

Ask a question