Skip to content

Spruce Up Your Study Space contest

Ask a school-related question in the Help Zone and you could win a $350 prize. See the details

See the details

Help Zone

Student Question

Grade 2 • 2yr.

Hello, I do not understand what the equality between two numbers is. Can you explain this to me please? Thank you.

Mathematics

{t c="richEditor.description.title"} {t c="richEditor.description.paragraphMenu"} {t c="richEditor.description.inlineMenu"} {t c="richEditor.description.embed"}

Explanations (1)

• Explanation from Alloprof

Explanation from Alloprof

This Explanation was submitted by a member of the Alloprof team.

Options
    Team Alloprof • 2yr.

Hello, 

Thank you for your question! :-)

A situation of equality between two numbers means that both sides of the equality (to the left and to the right of the equal sign) have the same value. For example, 1 + 2 = 3 + 0 is an equality situation, because both sides of the equation equals 3.

There can also be equalities between two numbers. For example, we could say that 4 = 4, because it is the same number. If you number pencils and you have 4 yellow pencils and 4 orange pencils, it means that you have an equality between the two colors of pencils, because you have the same number. Basically, it is like saying "is this number (number of yellow pencils) equal to this number (number of orange pencils)?"

I hope this helps you.

Have a good evening!

Audrey

Ask a question