Skip to content

Zone d’entraide

Question de l’élève

Secondaire 4 • 1m

Hello, I have a question for grade 10 history. I’m reviewing for history, and a question comes up;))). Why is Duplessis criticized about federal government’s equalization programs? I think that it’s because that he wants to defend provincial autonomy right? He wants less intervention from the federal government. He also wants to protect French Catholic character of Quebec, so if he accepts this proposal, Quebec society will be less influenced by the Church. It turns out more like a welfare state?? An equalization program is when the federal government distribute a portion of its financial resources to poorer provinces within Canada. (This program has nothing to do with collecting tax revenue right?) :))

Histoire

{t c="richEditor.description.title"} {t c="richEditor.description.paragraphMenu"} {t c="richEditor.description.inlineMenu"} {t c="richEditor.description.embed"}

Explications (1)

• Explication d'Alloprof

Explication d'Alloprof

Cette explication a été donnée par un membre de l'équipe d'Alloprof.

Options
    Équipe Alloprof • 1m

Hi!

This program does not have a direct link to tax revenue, but it still has one. First, I suggest you read this paragraph from the « Secrétariat aux Affaires intergouvernementales canadiennes » :

« Mr. Duplessis' government, on numerous occasions, manifested its opposition to the use of the federal spending power. Having seen the federal government occupy the three major fields of taxation (personal income tax, corporate income tax, inheritance tax), the Government of Québec insisted that the fiscal balance be re-established in the Canadian federation. Thus, Québec asked the federal government to withdraw from certain sources of taxation so that the provinces could recover the tax base necessary to exercise their own areas of jurisdiction fully, rather than depend on federal grants. » 

What that means is that Duplessis thinks that Québec should be able to raise the money necessary to fund social services by itself. Instead of using the federal tax money, Duplessis (and his governement) thinks that they should lower the canadian tax and raise the provincial tax so that they have the spending power (and not the federal government). So yes, you are right about the fact that Duplessis wants to defend financial autonomy.

Reference :

https://www.sqrc.gouv.qc.ca/documents/institutions-constitution/position-en.pdf

Hope this helped! If you have any other question, don't hesitate to ask! We'll be happy to help! :D

Laurie :)

Poser une question