Skip to content

Zone d’entraide

Question de l’élève

Secondaire 4 • 2a

hi,

how can i imorove my speling in english?

thank you

Anglais

{t c="richEditor.description.title"} {t c="richEditor.description.paragraphMenu"} {t c="richEditor.description.inlineMenu"} {t c="richEditor.description.embed"}

Explications (1)

• Explication d'Alloprof

Explication d'Alloprof

Cette explication a été donnée par un membre de l'équipe d'Alloprof.

Options
    Équipe Alloprof • 2a

Hello Tobio !

What a question ! I will share with you a few basic tools and rules to improve your spelling in English.

First is to read books for it allows you to expand your vocabulary.

Second is to use a good dictionary when needed. Though memory aids are useful for memorizing difficult-to-spell words, good spellers never rely solely on memory: they depend on a reliable, up-to-date dictionary.

Third is to learn the standard pronunciations of words. If taken the word mischievous, for example, learning the standard pronunciation “MISS chiv us” will aid you in properly spelling the word.

Fourth is to become familiar with English spelling rules. Here are the most common helpful rules.

Rule 1: i before except after c, or when sounded like /ay/ as in neighbour or weigh.

• This simple rhyme helps explain the difference between the spellings of believe (i before e) and receive (except after c). In general, when the long /e/ sound (ee) is spelled with the letters i and e, the order is ieshieldfieldfiend. Common exceptions are leisure, seizure, and weird.
    • When the letters i and e are used in words with a long /a/ sound, they are usually spelled eisleighfeintheinous.
    • When the sound is neither long /e/ nor long /a/, the spelling is usually eitheirseismicforeign. Some exceptions to this rule are friendsieve, and mischief.

Rule 2:  When adding suffixes that begin with a vowel (-able, –ible, –ous, etc.) to words ending in silent e, drop the final e.

• This rule explains why a word like desire contains an e and a word like desirable does not. Other examples include response → responsiblecontinue → continuousargue → arguing.
    • We do, however, retain the final when a word ends in –ce or –ge in order to maintain the distinctive “soft” pronunciation of those consonants: notice → noticeablecourage → courageousadvantage → advantageous.
    • For reasons of pronunciation, the final is also retained in words ending in a double e,
    • e.g. agree → agreeableflee → fleeing.

Rule 3When adding suffixes to words ending in y, change the to an i.

• This rule explains the spelling shift that occurs in the following word pairs: happy → happierplenty → plentifulbody → bodily.
    • As English spelling does not generally allow an to follow another i, the is retained when the suffix itself begins with an icarry → carryingbaby → babyish.

Rule 4When adding suffixes, double the final consonant of a word only if any of the following conditions apply.

• The final consonant is preceded by a single vowel: bar → barred. When there is more than one vowel before the final consonant, the consonant is not doubled: fail → failed. When the final consonant is preceded by another consonant, the consonant is not doubled: bark → barking.
    • The word has only one syllable or has the stress on the last syllable: fit → fittedcommit → committedprefer → preferred. For words with more than one syllable where the stress does not fall on the last syllable, the final consonant is not doubled: benefit → benefitedoffer → offered.
    • The suffix begins with a vowel: prefer → preferred. But if the syllable stress changes because of the addition of the suffix, then the consonant is not doubled: prefer → preference. Final consonants are also not doubled if the suffix begins with a consonant: prefer → preferment.
    • If the word ends in or p, then the consonant is usually doubled in Canadian spelling: travel → travelledworship → worshippedNote: American spelling does not follow this rule.

Fifth consists of the base : always correct and proofread your work ! Revise and spellcheck is an important step in any work (e.g. grammar, spelling, homophones, etc.). Pss some sites offer free proofreading, like LanguageTool - Online Grammar, Style & Spell Checker .

Thank you and I hope this helped !

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bonjour Tobio !

Toute une question ! Je vais partager avec toi certains outils et règles à suivre pour améliorer ton orthographe en anglais

Première chose est de lire puisque cela permet d'agrandir ton vocabulaire.

Deuxième chose est d’utiliser un bon dictionnaire en cas de besoin. Bien que les aide-mémoire soient utiles pour mémoriser des mots difficiles à épeler, les bons orthographes ne comptent jamais uniquement sur la mémoire : ils dépendent d'un dictionnaire fiable et à jour.

Troisième chose est d'apprendre la prononciation standard des mots. Situ prends le mot mischievous, par exemple, apprendre la prononciation standard « MISS chiv us » t'aidera à épeler correctement le mot.

Quatrièmement, se familiariser avec les règles d'orthographe anglaises. Voir les règles utiles les plus courantes dans le message d'en haut.

Le cinquième consiste la base : toujours réviser et relire ton travail ! Réviser, corriger et vérifier l'orthographe est une étape importante dans tout travail (par exemple la grammaire, l'orthographe, les homophones, etc.). Pss certains sites (en anglais pour cette langue) proposent une relecture et correction gratuite, comme LanguageTool - Online Grammar, Style & Spell Checker .

J'espère le tout t'aide et merci pour ta question !

Poser une question