Skip to content

Help Zone

Student Question

Secondary V • 6mo.

How would someone balance this redox reaction?

Al + OH^- = AlO2^- + H2 

Apparently, the answer is supposed to be 

I've tried to do this practice question multiple times but I don't get this answer every time.

Chemistry

{t c="richEditor.description.title"} {t c="richEditor.description.paragraphMenu"} {t c="richEditor.description.inlineMenu"} {t c="richEditor.description.embed"}

Explanations (2)

• Explanation from Alloprof

Explanation from Alloprof

This Explanation was submitted by a member of the Alloprof team.

Options
    Team Alloprof • 6mo.

Hello RedFlamingo2804,

Thank you very much for your question! You can note that this exchange will be archived for the purposes of improving our services and research. In order to successfully complete this problem, I will show you the algebraic method for balancing a chemical equation. The first thing to do is to assign a letter to each of your molecules. Your equation therefore becomes a Al + b OH = c AlO2 + d H2. Next, you need to make an equation for each of your atoms.

Aluminum: a = c

Oxygen: b = 2c

Hydrogen: b = 2d

Finally, to succeed in giving a value to your algebraic variables (a,b,c,d) you will have to set one of these variables equal to one. In this case, let's set a equal to 1. Then, all you have to do is isolate your variables in each equation knowing that a is 1. Be careful, don't forget that the coefficients cannot be fractions. Here is a sheet that could help you a lot:

I hope that answers your question. Don’t hesitate to write to us again if any questions persist!

• Options
    Secondary IV • 6mo.

I think u forgot to write the 2H2O

Ask a question