Skip to content

Zone d’entraide

Question de l’élève

Secondaire 4 • 10j

Hello, I have a question about the permafrost. So the permafrost is the subsurface layer of the active layer, and they are frozen for more than two years right? It is below the cooling point which is 0 degrees Celsius. When we are talking about that the active layer melts in the summer, we’re trying to say that it’s actually the permafrost who is melting in the summer right? So when they melt, they release a large amount of methane which will contribute to global warming. Thank you for helping me ;))))

Sciences

{t c="richEditor.description.title"} {t c="richEditor.description.paragraphMenu"} {t c="richEditor.description.inlineMenu"} {t c="richEditor.description.embed"}

Explications (1)

• Explication d'Alloprof

Explication d'Alloprof

Cette explication a été donnée par un membre de l'équipe d'Alloprof.

Options
    Équipe Alloprof • 10j

Hello AdorableApatosaurus7671,

Thank you very much for your question! Most of your information is good. You only have one mistake. When we talk about the active layer we are not talking about permafrost. In fact, we are talking more about the layer just above which we call mollisol. It is normal for the mollisol to melt in summer since it allows vegetation to grow. You are also right about the melting of permafrost. Its melting is associated with global warming. It is not normal for it to melt and that is why it releases methane. Here is something that might help you:

I hope that answers your question. Don't hesitate to write to us again if any questions persist!

Poser une question