Skip to content

Help Zone

Student Question

Secondary I • 2yr.

Hello,

I have to measure the volume of a solid in my lab, but I don't know how. Could you explain the techniques to me please?

Thanks a lot!

Science

{t c="richEditor.description.title"} {t c="richEditor.description.paragraphMenu"} {t c="richEditor.description.inlineMenu"} {t c="richEditor.description.embed"}

Explanations (1)

• Explanation from Alloprof

Explanation from Alloprof

This Explanation was submitted by a member of the Alloprof team.

Options
    Team Alloprof • 2yr.

Hello Adorable Moose!

Thank you for your question 😉

There are three techniques for determining the volume of a solid.

First, if you have the dimensions of the object, you can use volume formulas to find it.

Secondly, if the object is small enough, you can use a graduated cylinder to find its volume. First, you have to fill your graduated cylinder so that the water level is higher than the height of your object. Before placing the object in the cylinder, take note of the volume of water which has been poured into the graduated cylinder (it is very important for later). Once that is done, you can gently insert your object in the cylinder. Then, measure the new volume and subtract it from the initial volume to get the volume of your object. Here is the formula:

$$V_ {object} = V _ {(water + object)} - ​​V_ {water}$$

Here Vobject is the volume of the object, V(water + object) is the volume of the object plus the initial volume of water and Vwater is the initial volume of water.

This formula removes the initial volume of water from the second volume measurement.

Finally, if your object doesn't fit in the cylinder, you can use an overflow vessel. This technique is very simple. The first step is to completely fill the overflow vessel and then place a graduated cylinder near its spout to collect the water that will flow out when the solid is placed in it. Gently place the object in the vase without your fingers touching the water. The last step is to read the volume of water in the graduated cylinder. This volume corresponds to the volume of the object.

Note : It is better to use a graduated cylinder, as it is more precise.

If you have any other questions, don't hesitate to ask them on the forums😊

Ask a question