Skip to content

Help Zone

Student Question

Secondary I • 2yr.

I do not understand the difference between temperature and heat. Could you explain it to me please?

Science

{t c="richEditor.description.title"} {t c="richEditor.description.paragraphMenu"} {t c="richEditor.description.inlineMenu"} {t c="richEditor.description.embed"}

Explanations (1)

• Explanation from Alloprof

Explanation from Alloprof

This Explanation was submitted by a member of the Alloprof team.

Options
    Team Alloprof • 2yr.

Hello Adorable Moose!

Thank you for your question!

Temperature is a measure of the degree of agitation of the particles in a substance. When temperature is high (hot), an object’s particles move a lot, whereas a low temperature (cold), indicates that the particles of an object move less.

In other words, the higher the temperature, the more agitated particles are, and vice versa.

When there is a temperature difference between two objects, a transfer of thermal energy, called heat, occurs between these two objects. The object with the higher temperature gives thermal energy to the object with a lower temperature in order to balance the difference in the degree of agitation of the particles between the two objects. When the particles of the two objects collide, the very agitated particles are slowed down, while slow particles are excited. Thus, the hot object becomes cooler and the cold object becomes warmer. In other words, the warmer object gives heat to the cooler object.

I hope that answers your question :-)

Éveline 😊

Ask a question