Skip to content

Help Zone

Student Question

Secondary I • 2yr.

Hello, can you help me with one of my homework numbers? It says:

"Determine the phase of the substance with the statements below:

a) I am an incompressible substance, my particles are ordered, brought together and linked together, and only vibrate.

B) I am a compressible substance, my particles can vibrate and make rotational and translational movements

c) I am an incompressible substance, with undefined volume and my particles are disordered and loosely bound together. ”

Thank you for your help!

Science

{t c="richEditor.description.title"} {t c="richEditor.description.paragraphMenu"} {t c="richEditor.description.inlineMenu"} {t c="richEditor.description.embed"}

Explanations (1)

• Explanation from Alloprof

Explanation from Alloprof

This Explanation was submitted by a member of the Alloprof team.

Options
    Team Alloprof • 2yr.

Hello, 

Let's think about the three phases that substances can take.

First, there is the solid form. When a substance is solid, its volume and shape are defined, its particles are brought together, ordered and linked together. The substance is incompressible and the particles can only vibrate.

Then there is the liquid form. When a substance is liquid, its volume is defined, its shape is undefined, its particles are not closely related and are disordered. The substance is incompressible and the particles can vibrate and make rotational movements.

Finally, there is the gaseous form. When the substance is in the gaseous state, its volume and shape are indefinite, its particles are not bound together; they are distant and disorderly. The substance is compressible and the particles can vibrate as well as make rotational and translational motions.

I hope this reminder on the different phases will help you complete your homework! 

Don't hesitate to ask other questions 😉

Ask a question