Skip to content

Help Zone

Student Question

Secondary I • 2yr.

Hello,

I have to do an assignment which asks me what were the consequences of sedentarization, but apart from doing agriculture, I don't know what to answer. Could you help me ?

Thank you !

History

{t c="richEditor.description.title"} {t c="richEditor.description.paragraphMenu"} {t c="richEditor.description.inlineMenu"} {t c="richEditor.description.embed"}

Explanations (1)

• Explanation from Alloprof

Explanation from Alloprof

This Explanation was submitted by a member of the Alloprof team.

Options
    Team Alloprof • 2yr.

Hello!

In fact, agriculture is rather a cause of sedentarization than a consequence ! By finding out how to farm and thinking about putting the animals in enclosures (instead of having to hunt them), the nomadic lifestyle was no longer necessary. Moreover, agriculture and livestock have enabled people to eat better. As a result, the population was in better health, promoting population growth (first consequence).

Little by little, the first villages will appear, because the humans regroup together. Sedentarization has therefore modified the territory with the appearance of villages (second consequence). We are also witnessing the appearance of the first organised civilizations (third consequence) !

To learn more about the sedentary lifestyle, I invite you to consult our information sheet on this subject.

In addition, the agriculture was so productive and the crops so abundant that it was not necessary for all the members of the village to participate in it. Some people will therefore devote themselves to other occupations for the village. These artisans will make various objects for other members of their community such as tools or clothing. We are therefore witnessing a division of labor (fourth consequence). Moreover, a new profession is emerging, that of the trader (fifth consequence). This one practices barter, a form of exchange.

To learn more about the economic activities of the first sedentary people, I invite you to consult our information sheet on this subject.

Do not hesitate to write to us again if you have any other questions! :)

Ask a question