Skip to content

Help Zone

Student Question

Secondary II • 2yr.

Hello! I wonder what the fight against racism is and what did Martin Luther King do?

Thank you

History

{t c="richEditor.description.title"} {t c="richEditor.description.paragraphMenu"} {t c="richEditor.description.inlineMenu"} {t c="richEditor.description.embed"}

Explanations (1)

• Explanation from Alloprof

Explanation from Alloprof

This Explanation was submitted by a member of the Alloprof team.

Options
    Team Alloprof • 2yr.

Hello

I will try to briefly explain this very important issue. If you ever have other more specific questions, don't hesitate to ask them.

Slavery has been around for a very long time in America. One can think of the triangular trade (or Transatlantic slave trade). which constituted exchanges of raw materials, manufactured products and slaves. The slaves often came from Africa. In 1865, US President Abraham Lincoln officially put in place a law that ended slavery. On the other hand, even after the implementation of the law, there were still very strong inequalities between white and black people. They lived in segregation and discrimination.

To try to have their rights recognized, they will form associations, participate in demonstrations and use various means, such as boycotting certain products / services.

Martin Luther King had a great impact as a peaceful protester for civil rights in the United States. He won a Nobel Peace Prize in 1964. You may have heard about him from his “I have a dream” speech before.

Following the fight against racism and the speeches of influential actors like Martin Luther King, the United States adopted the Civil Rights Act, which prohibits segregation in public places as well as a law that gives the right to vote to black Americans. Despite this, racial tensions are still present in some places in America today.

Thank you for your question

Ask a question