Skip to content

Help Zone

Student Question

Secondary IV • 2yr.

Good morning!

In my history class, we talked about mass culture. I don’t really understand the concept, can you explain it to me?

thank you

History

{t c="richEditor.description.title"} {t c="richEditor.description.paragraphMenu"} {t c="richEditor.description.inlineMenu"} {t c="richEditor.description.embed"}

Explanations (1)

• Explanation from Alloprof

Explanation from Alloprof

This Explanation was submitted by a member of the Alloprof team.

Options
    Team Alloprof • 2yr. edited September 2021

Hello Mangousteagile51,

Mass culture made its appearance during the Roaring Twenties (1920-1929, after the First World War, before the crash of 1929).

At that time, there was economic prosperity, which means the majority of the population was financially comfortable, which ensured that the population had the financial means to consume cultural goods. So people went out more in cabarets, theaters, cinemas, etc. Technology was also driving the development of mass culture.

In Quebec, we can see the phenomenon of mass culture in particular with the radio (in Quebec houses from 1922), the cinema (an affordable outing which presents reality from elsewhere), local novels, cabarets (largely influenced by American culture as well as professional sports like hockey).

In short, mass culture is the evolution of popular culture thanks to new technologies and consumer prosperity.

I hope I have answered your question well. 

Let us know if we can help you with anything else!

-Marilee

Ask a question