Skip to content

Spruce Up Your Study Space contest

Ask a school-related question in the Help Zone and you could win a $350 prize. See the details

See the details

Help Zone

Student Question

Secondary III • 2yr.

What is the difference between the mechanisms of transformation and transmission of movement? I do not understand.

Sciences

{t c="richEditor.description.title"} {t c="richEditor.description.paragraphMenu"} {t c="richEditor.description.inlineMenu"} {t c="richEditor.description.embed"}

Explanations (1)

• Explanation from Alloprof

Explanation from Alloprof

This Explanation was submitted by a member of the Alloprof team.

Options
    Team Alloprof • 2yr.

Thanks for your question!

Several different technical objects are made up of parts that play a role in the operation or assembly of objects called "organs". Sometimes the movement of one organ causes the movement of another.

More precisely, the movement of a driving member can cause the movement of a driven member.

There are three types of mechanical movements:

• Rectilinear translational motion: moving a certain distance in a straight line

• Rotational motion: turning around an axis

• Helical motion: turning and moving along an axis

When the driving member causes the movement of a driven member of the same type (for example, a rectilinear translational movement which causes another rectilinear translational movement), it is a transmission of the movement. The driving member and the driven member (and the intermediate members, if any) can be referred to as part of a motion transmission mechanism.

When the driving member causes the movement of a driven member which is not of the same type (for example, a rectilinear translational movement which causes a rotational movement), this is a transformation of the movement. The driving organ and the driven organ (and the intermediate organs, if any) can be referred to as part of a movement transformation mechanism.

Here are some examples of motion transmission mechanisms:

• Toothed wheels (rotation to rotation)

s1436i16.png

• Pulley and belts (rotation to rotation)

s1436i13.jpg

Here are some examples of motion transformation mechanisms:

• Cam and roller (rotation to rectilinear translation)

s1437i18-1.gif

• Screw and nut (translational rotation)

s1437i14.jpg

Thank you for your question!

Ask a question