Skip to content

Help Zone

Student Question

Secondary IV • 2yr.

Good morning!

I can't understand the difference between imperialism and nationalism, we saw it the previous year but I don't remember :D

Thank you very much for your help

History

{t c="richEditor.description.title"} {t c="richEditor.description.paragraphMenu"} {t c="richEditor.description.inlineMenu"} {t c="richEditor.description.embed"}

Explanations (1)

• Explanation from Alloprof

Explanation from Alloprof

This Explanation was submitted by a member of the Alloprof team.

Options
    Team Alloprof • 2yr.

Hello TomateSupra7536!

Thank you for using our services! :)

To begin with, imperialism is an ideology according to which a colony is an integral part of an empire. The supporters of this ideology have a strong sense of belonging to the metropolis. They also support the military, economic, political or cultural domination that the metropolis exercises over its colony. In the colonies of Canada, the metropolis was England.

For its part, nationalism is a current of thought whose objective is to promote and / or defend a nation. So there can be British nationalism, Quebec nationalism or Canadian nationalism! In a sense, in Canada, the imperialist people are doing British nationalism, England being the metropolis.

Hope you understand the difference better now! Do not hesitate if you have other questions, it will be a real pleasure for me to help you!

- Noémie

Ask a question