Skip to content

Help Zone

Student Question

Secondary IV • 2yr.

Hello to all,

I know that the First Nations were very badly treated, but how? I am asked to name the actions brought against the First Nations at the beginning of the 20th century as well as their consequences, but I do not know which ones :(

Thank you for everything!

History

{t c="richEditor.description.title"} {t c="richEditor.description.paragraphMenu"} {t c="richEditor.description.inlineMenu"} {t c="richEditor.description.embed"}

Explanations (1)

• Explanation from Alloprof

Explanation from Alloprof

This Explanation was submitted by a member of the Alloprof team.

Options
    Team Alloprof • 2yr.

Hello to you TomateSupra7536!

Thank you for calling on our services :D

The federal government of Canada continued its policy of assimilation of  native americans at the beginning of the 20th century. First Nations children were then sent to residential schools. The objective was for Aboriginal people to completely abandon their culture to integrate fully into Canadian culture. The living conditions in these residential schools were very difficult since the natives lived alongside violence and contempt on a daily basis.

Thus, the measures taken against the Amerindians had serious consequences on their culture and their way of life. Those consequences are still going on today.

Do not hesitate to write back if you have other questions, it will be a real pleasure for me to answer you!

- Noémie

Ask a question