Skip to content

Help Zone

Student Question

Secondary III • 2yr.

Hello,

I have to find the density of a solid for my science lab, but don't know how to do it. Can you explain me how, please?

Thanks a lot!

Science

{t c="richEditor.description.title"} {t c="richEditor.description.paragraphMenu"} {t c="richEditor.description.inlineMenu"} {t c="richEditor.description.embed"}

Explanations (1)

• Explanation from Alloprof

Explanation from Alloprof

This Explanation was submitted by a member of the Alloprof team.

Options
    Team Alloprof • 2yr.

Thank you for your question

Before starting the explanation, it is important to understand what density means. It is a ratio of quantity of matter (mass) for a given space (volume).

To find the density of your solid, you will have to find its mass and volume.

Mass can simply be found using a beam balance (a type of scale).

Volume can be harder to find. There are two techniques, either using a graduated cylinder if the solid is small, or an overflow vessel if the solid does not fit into the graduated cylinder.

If using a graduated cylinder, enough water must be inserted in the cylinder to completely submerge the solid (without the solid being in the cylinder in the first place). Measure and take note of this initial volume. Then, add the solid and take note of the new volume. measurement obtained on the graduated cylinder. To find the volume of the solid, subtract the volume of the water with the solid and the the volume of the water without the solid.

If using an overflow vessel, it is necessary to fill the vessel to the brim, then place the solid in the vessel, and collect the water which overflows from the vase. The excess volume of water corresponds to the volume of the solid.

A note of precaution: The graduated cylinder method should be used as often as possible since it is more precise.

Once you have obtained the amount of matter (mass) and the occupied space (volume) of your object, you simply need to divide the mass by the volume to determine the mass to volume ratio of your object.

If you have any other questions, don't hesitate to let us know! 😊

Ask a question