Skip to content

Help Zone

Student Question

Secondary III • 2yr.

Hello,

I can't quite understand the solutions and the difference between solute and solvent. Could you explain it to me, please?

Thanks a lot!

Science

{t c="richEditor.description.title"} {t c="richEditor.description.paragraphMenu"} {t c="richEditor.description.inlineMenu"} {t c="richEditor.description.embed"}

Explanations (1)

• Explanation from Alloprof

Explanation from Alloprof

This Explanation was submitted by a member of the Alloprof team.

Options
    Team Alloprof • 2yr.

Hello,

Thank you for your question! 😉

A solution is a homogeneous mixture composed of a solvent and one or more solutes. Solutions are usually liquid, but some such as alloys are examples of solid solutions.

Solutions are obligatory translucent and must have only one phase when we observe it with our naked eye and under the microscope. For example, milk is not a solution since it is not translucent, and droplets of fat are observable under the microscope.

To fully understand the concept of solutions, it must be possible to distinguish the solute from the solvent.

A solute is a substance dissolved in a solvent and has smaller quantities in the solution. For instance, in saltwater, the solute is salt since it is found in smaller proportions and is dissolved in the solution.

On the other hand, a solvent is a substance that dissolves a solute. It is present in greater quantities in the solution. Therefore, in saltwater, water is the solvent since it is present in a larger proportion. Plus, salt dissolves in water.

I hope my answer was helpful. 

If you have any other questions, don't hesitate to ask them! 😊

Ask a question