Skip to content

Help Zone

Student Question

Secondary III • 2yr.

Hello! I have a homework assignment on dilution and I have 3 questions

1) What is the difference between a dissolution and a dilution?

2) Does a dilution always lower the concentration?

3) My homework says that my final solution has a volume of 100ml and a concentration of 0.24g / ml, then the initial solution has a volume of 75ml. How do I find the initial concentration ??

Thanks in advance :)))

Science

{t c="richEditor.description.title"} {t c="richEditor.description.paragraphMenu"} {t c="richEditor.description.inlineMenu"} {t c="richEditor.description.embed"}

Explanations (1)

• Explanation from Alloprof

Explanation from Alloprof

This Explanation was submitted by a member of the Alloprof team.

Options
    Team Alloprof • 2yr.

Hello!

First, in the dilution, a solvent is added to the solution to decrease its concentration. However, in the dissolution, a solute is added to a solution to increase its concentration!

So, to answer your second question, when we dilute a solution, we try to reduce its initial concentration!

Finally, to answer your question, you can notice that you have three data items, namely the initial volume, the final volume and the final concentration, and that your unknown is the initial concentration.

By observing these data, we can see that we have all the information necessary to use the formula:

C1 × V1 = C2 × V2

You can then replace the variables with the values ​​given to you, and isolate the variable for the initial concentration to find the answer!

Hope that answers your question! Don't hesitate to come back and see us if you have any other questions :)

Ask a question