Skip to content

Help Zone

Student Question

Secondary IV • 2yr.

Good evening!

I would like to know what the conscription crisis is! :)) thank you

History

{t c="richEditor.description.title"} {t c="richEditor.description.paragraphMenu"} {t c="richEditor.description.inlineMenu"} {t c="richEditor.description.embed"}

Explanations (1)

• Explanation from Alloprof

Explanation from Alloprof

This Explanation was submitted by a member of the Alloprof team.

Options
    Team Alloprof • 2yr. edited September 2021

Good evening!

The conscription crisis refers to the desire of the government of Mackenzie King to increase the number of soldiers sent to Europe during World War II. In order to meet the great demand for soldiers, this same government holds what is called a plebiscite in order to know if a conscription should take place.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

According to the alloprof site;

A plebiscite is a vote in which the public is asked for their opinion on an issue. This is a form of poll, since the government is not obliged to respect the result.

Conscription is compulsory enlistment of all men in age to participate in the fighting. In some cases, conscripts will ask to be exempted for different reasons (such as a medical problem). Others will also go into hiding in camps or granaries to avoid compulsory enlistment.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Groups will then be created to express their opinion on the subject of conscription. On April 27, 1942, 60% of Canada voted in favor of conscription, but 70% of the Quebec population voted against.

This event is called the conscription crisis because, once again, Canada is divided in two.

I hope I answered your question! :)

Feel free to write to us again!

Ask a question