Skip to content

Spruce Up Your Study Space contest

Ask a school-related question in the Help Zone and you could win a $350 prize. See the details

See the details

Help Zone

Student Question

Secondary I • 2yr.

Hello,

I don't understand the difference between each of these terms: atom, molecule, element and compound.

Can you help me ?

Thanks

Science

{t c="richEditor.description.title"} {t c="richEditor.description.paragraphMenu"} {t c="richEditor.description.inlineMenu"} {t c="richEditor.description.embed"}

Explanations (1)

• Explanation from Alloprof

Explanation from Alloprof

This Explanation was submitted by a member of the Alloprof team.

Options
    Team Alloprof • 2yr.

Thank you for your question!

First, let's define the terms:

• The atom is the smallest part of matter that can be obtained by dividing matter by chemical means. An atom is a particle.

• Element is a type of atom. There are more than a hundred kinds of elements, all of which are grouped within the periodic table. Groups of atoms of the same kind are also designated as elements.

• The molecule is a grouping of atoms linked together.

• Compound is a group of two or more types of atoms bonded together.

The difference between each of the terms is then the following:

• Atom-element: the atom designates only the particle itself, while the element designates a category of atoms, or even a group of atoms of the same sort.

• Atom-molecule: the atom designates a single particle, while the molecule designates two or more particles

• Atom-compound: the atom designates a single particle, while the compound implies the presence of two or more particles

• Element- molecule: the element designates a category of atoms or a group of atoms of the same kind, while the molecule designates a group of atoms linked together

• Element-compound: the element designates a group of atoms of the same sort, whereas the compound designates a group of bonded atoms of two or more kinds

• Molecule-compound: the molecule designates two or more particles bonded together, while the compound designates a group of bonded atoms of two kinds of elements or more

Don't hesitate if you have other questions!

Ask a question