Skip to content

Help Zone

Student Question

Secondary V • 2yr.

Hello, I am trying to understand how the fall of the USSR and the collapse of the communist bloc in general constitutes a victory for the ideas of the Enlightenment? Thanks

History

{t c="richEditor.description.title"} {t c="richEditor.description.paragraphMenu"} {t c="richEditor.description.inlineMenu"} {t c="richEditor.description.embed"}

Explanations (1)

• Explanation from Alloprof

Explanation from Alloprof

This Explanation was submitted by a member of the Alloprof team.

Options
    Team Alloprof • 2yr.

Hi!

Let's start by remembering what the ideas of the Enlightenment are.

Here is what we say on our Alloprof sheet:

“The Enlightenment is the expression we use to define the 18th century. During this period, philosophers and intellectuals exchange their ideas and knowledge in order to contribute to the progress of science. They thus want to oppose the obscurantism caused by the religious and political authorities of the time. »

By obscurantism, we speak of an attitude of opposition to the dissemination and instruction of knowledge.

To find out a little more about the Enlightenment, I invite you to look at one of our fact sheets on the subject. 

Based on this, what links can we make with the fall of the USSR?

To answer this, I invite you to reflect on the reality of life inside the communist bloc. Was the dissemination of knowledge encouraged?

I'll let you think about that. If you need help or have other questions, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Ask a question