Skip to content

Spruce Up Your Study Space contest

Ask a school-related question in the Help Zone and you could win a $350 prize. See the details

See the details

Help Zone

Student Question

Secondary III • 1yr.

Hello!

I have been curious about Inuit people lately, so I made a list of all questions that I would like to know. Does anyone know about these questions or can help me by answering them please? Thank you very much in advance!

1. What are the 4 official languages of Nunavut? 
  • English
  • French
  • Inuktitut
  • Inuinnaqtun

1. Why are Inuit people coming into contact with different dialects more frequently than before? 

1. Which Inuit dialect is the most recognized and widely spoken? 

1. Where is the Inuit language spoken?

1. What are the 4 areas included in the Inuit Nunangat? (Inuit Homeland)

-

-

-

-

1. Traditional Inuit place names often describe the location. What does the word Nunatsiavut mean? 

Nuna = 

tsia= 

vut = 

Meaning= ___________________________________

1. Traditional Inuit place names often describe the location. What does the word Nunavut mean? 

Nuna = 

vut=  

Meaning = ______________________________

1. Traditional Inuit place names often describe the location. What does the word Qamani’tuaq mean? 

1. What are the two main dialect areas of the Inuit language? 

-

-

1. What do you add to the end of inuit words to make them plural (2 or more)?

1. What is the dual form of the word for “snowy owl” in the Inuit language? 

1. What is the singular, dual and plural form of the word “person” in the Inuit Language?  

singular: 

dual: 

plural (2+): 

1. How do you refer to a non-Inuit person in the Inuit language? 

1. Why is it sometimes difficult to write Quallunaaq names using Inuit syllabics? 

1. How do you write your own name in Inuit syllabics? Use the sheet provided. 

1.  Match these words to their meaning and their translation in English: 

ᓄᓇ  = 

ᐃᒡᓗ = 

ᐊᓈᓇ = 

ᓇᓄᖅ = 

ᐃᓄᐃᑦ = 

17. How do you say “Who are you?” using Inuit syllabics? 

18. . What is the difference between niummak,  sitilluqqaaq and qanniq? 

Niummak =

sitilluqqaaq = 

qanniq = 

19. TRUE OR FALSE: Inuit have dozens or even hundreds of words for snow. 

20. In the Inuit language, how can we create new snow-related words? 

21. What does “polysynthetic language” mean? 

22.  What does “pukaksiaqsiuriaqtuqatigimaiqtara” mean? 

23. What is the Inuit Language Protection Act? 

24. What is the predicted population of Inuit for 2031?

25. Between today and 2031, what percentage of population increase is expected for the Inuit population? 

26. Pronunciation challenge!! Which team can sing Saila’s alphabet song the best? 

History

{t c="richEditor.description.title"} {t c="richEditor.description.paragraphMenu"} {t c="richEditor.description.inlineMenu"} {t c="richEditor.description.embed"}

Explanations (1)

• Explanation from Alloprof

Explanation from Alloprof

This Explanation was submitted by a member of the Alloprof team.

Options
    Team Alloprof • 1yr.

Hi ! Thank you for reaching out to us ! :)

The questions you mentionned seem to be taken from an activity book or given in class. Since they seem to be part of a quiz, we can not unfortunately answer to all of them for you.

I would suggest you read your notes (especially on the language) and try to answer them yourself. That way, you will be able to learn quickly and will remember what you studied :D Some questions require material provided by your teacher (see the question on writing your name : use the sheet provided).

You can find most information on the Canadian Encyclopedia and in the section «Inuit» of the Indigenous Peoples of Canada Atlas. (the link is in blue).

As for the language, I'd suggest the following website : https://www.mustgo.com/worldlanguages/inuit/

Nunatshiavut means Our beautiful land. You can find the translation by doing a quick search on your preferred search engine :)

Let us know if you need help with anything else.

Keep up the good work ! :D

Sarah G

Ask a question