Skip to content

Help Zone

Student Question

Secondary IV • 2mo.

I have a question about Ohm’s Law. For a given potential difference, Resistance and Current Intensity are inversely proportional right? Potential difference is directly proportional to the Resistance and the Current intensity right? :)))

Science

{t c="richEditor.description.title"} {t c="richEditor.description.paragraphMenu"} {t c="richEditor.description.inlineMenu"} {t c="richEditor.description.embed"}

Explanations (1)

• Explanation from Alloprof

Explanation from Alloprof

This Explanation was submitted by a member of the Alloprof team.

Options
    Team Alloprof • 2mo. edited March 29

Hi AdorableApatosaurus7671,

Thank you for your question!

To answer this question, we first need to look at Ohm's law to see the relationship between the current intensity, the voltage and the resistance :

$$ U = RI $$

Where:

• U : potential difference, also known as voltage (V)

• R : resistance (Ω)

• I : current intensity, also known as amperage (A)

As you can see, the current intensity, also known as amperage (I) and the resistance (R) are directly proportional to the potential difference, also known as voltage (V). This means that if either the amperage or the resistance increases, the voltage also increases.

For a given voltage, the resistance and the amperage are inversely proportional. For example, if the resistance increases, the amperage must decrease to maintain the same voltage.

If you want to know more about this subject, here's a link to our website :

I hope that helps and don't hesitate to reach out if you have any further questions!

Anthony B.

Ask a question