Skip to content

Help Zone

Student Question

Secondary I • 2yr.

Hi, I'm not too good with taxes and discounts and everything. I am a little lost in this exercise: 

Marie-Christine wants to buy a sweater at $ 42.50, pants at $ 55.25 and a pair of shoes at $ 79.75. Today, the store is offering a 40% discount for any purchase over $ 100. How much will she have to pay if a 15% tax is applied to her purchases? 

Mathematics

{t c="richEditor.description.title"} {t c="richEditor.description.paragraphMenu"} {t c="richEditor.description.inlineMenu"} {t c="richEditor.description.embed"}

Explanations (1)

• Explanation from Alloprof

Explanation from Alloprof

This Explanation was submitted by a member of the Alloprof team.

Options
    Team Alloprof • 2yr.

Hello!

First of all, a discount indicates a decrease in price, so you will have to calculate the reduced price, obtained through the discount.

Marie-Christine will therefore pay the total of her purchases (sweater, pants and a pair of shoes), minus the discount on the total. 

To know how much money you will save on the bill with the discount, you need to calculate the discount in dollars. How many dollars ($) is the discount (%) equivalent to? 

Hint: since the discount applies to an amount of $ 100 or more and you have a percentage, you will have to put fractions on 100.

Next, let's remove the amount found previously (therefore the discount) from the original price to find the reduced price.

Finally, we can calculate the tax at this new price and then add it to the reduced price. The reduced price added with the tax gives the total price.

As we did for the discount, you have to find the amount of money representing tax. We use the same procedure as we did before. 

In this context, it is 15% so 15/100 = 0.15. You will have to apply it to the reduced price by multiplying it with the reduced price obtained.

Thank you for your question!

Ask a question