Skip to content

Help Zone

Student Question

Secondary I • 2yr.

In my assignment, I am asked to find the LCM and the GCD of the following numbers: 10 and 15.

I know that LCM means least common multiple and GCD means greatest common divisor but I do not know their concrete definition.

Thank you very much for helping me, that will clarify everything

Mathematics

{t c="richEditor.description.title"} {t c="richEditor.description.paragraphMenu"} {t c="richEditor.description.inlineMenu"} {t c="richEditor.description.embed"}

Explanations (1)

• Explanation from Alloprof

Explanation from Alloprof

This Explanation was submitted by a member of the Alloprof team.

Options
    Team Alloprof • 2yr.

Hello to you!

As you mentioned, GCD and LCM mean greatest common divisor and least common multiple.

To give further clarification, the GCD between two or more numbers is the largest natural number that divides all of those numbers. For example, the GCD of 20 and 50 will be 10. A little trick to help you is that the GCD is smaller than the original number.

To find the GCD, you can list the divisors of each number, make a table of prime divisors, or find the prime factors. 

The LCM, on the other hand, is the smallest non-zero natural number that is both a multiple of all these numbers. So the LCM of 20 and 50 will be 100. A little trick to help you out is that the LCM is greater than the original number.

To find the LCM, you can list the multiples, make a table of prime divisors, or make a factor tree.

Hoping with all my heart that this will have enlightened you! Do not hesitate if you have other questions, it will be a real pleasure to answer you :)

Ask a question