Skip to content

Help Zone

Student Question

Secondary III • 2yr.

Hi! I'm having trouble finding the right style of narrator, especially omniscient? I'm not sure what it is anymore... Can someone please help me? Thank you!

French

{t c="richEditor.description.title"} {t c="richEditor.description.paragraphMenu"} {t c="richEditor.description.inlineMenu"} {t c="richEditor.description.embed"}

Explanations (1)

• Explanation from Alloprof

Explanation from Alloprof

This Explanation was submitted by a member of the Alloprof team.

Options
    Team Alloprof • 2yr.

Hello,

Thank you very much for your question!

There are mainly 3 types of narrators, including the omniscient narrator.

The omniscient narrator (also called god narrator) is not a character in the story. We said that he is absent. He knows everything and sees everything. He knows the thoughts, emotions and impressions of the characters and can describe them. The narration is in the 3rd person.

It should not be confused with the witness character narrator, who is a secondary character in the story and does not tell his own story. Even though the narration is also and almost always in the third person, the witness narrator cannot know with certainty what is going on in the minds of the other characters, since he or she is acting as an observer of events.

Finally, the main character narrator (also called the present narrator or hero narrator) tells his or her own story. The narration is therefore in the 1st person.

Feel free to ask us more questions if you have any! :)

Ask a question