Skip to content

Help Zone

Student Question

Grade 3 • 2yr.

hello,

how do you do a 2-digit division?

Mathematics

{t c="richEditor.description.title"} {t c="richEditor.description.paragraphMenu"} {t c="richEditor.description.inlineMenu"} {t c="richEditor.description.embed"}

Explanations (1)

• Explanation from Alloprof

Explanation from Alloprof

This Explanation was submitted by a member of the Alloprof team.

Options
    Team Alloprof • 2yr.

Thanks for reaching out! Let me help you.

I will try to explain to you how to divide by a two-digit number using an example.

Consider the following problem: what is the result of 1650 divided by 14?

A little tip to help you before starting to solve the problem is to write on the corner of your sheet, the multiplication table of the divisor. In our case, the divisor is 14. The table is therefore:

1 × 14 = 14

2 × 14 = 28

3 × 14 = 42

4 × 14 = 56

5 × 14 = 70

6 × 14 = 84

7 × 14 = 98

8 × 14 = 112

9 × 14 = 126

Then, after having drawn the gallows, we must always start the division from the digits to the left of the dividend (1650).

We ask ourselves first, how many times 14 is in 16 (see in red below) ? The answer is 1. We therefore write this answer under the divisor. We must then subtract 16 by the answer obtained and multiply by the divisor, i.e. 

16− (1 × 14) = 2

. We write this answer below the subtraction and we write down the 5 and the zero:

image.png

Then, we repeat the same steps. How many times is 14 in 25? By referring to the multiplication table above, we conclude that 14 enters only once in 25. We write this answer in to the right of the 1 obtained previously and we carry out the subtraction 

25− (1 × 14) = 11

We write this answer below the subtraction and we write down the 0:

image.png

We must repeat these same steps one last time. How many times does 14 enter 110? By referring to our multiplication table, we find 7. We write this answer under the divisor and we subtract 

110− (7 × 14) = 12

We write this answer below the subtraction.

image.png

The final answer is therefore 117 remainder 12. It is very important not to forget to mention the remainder 12 to complete the answer.

Hope this example helped you!

Ask a question